Tuesday, February 17, 2015

PAVLOVA .....

The name alone is romantic ..... or at least I think it is.
It's one of those desserts, that at first sight looks complicated, but really it's not .... It's the dessert created to impress ... For me, it is just THE dessert !!!!

Valentines Day for us was a low key affair. The Hubby despises the day - Just another opportunity for Hallmark to make a killing. I, on the other hand, am more of a romantic, and love the idea of one special day, set aside, in the name of love ... Oh well, it is what it is :-)

Days like this in our house, are treated to an extra special dinner. The dinner table gets appropriately decorated, and there is always a themed dessert. This year it was Pavlova !!!
In honor of this dessert, and because I think everyone should have a go at making it at least once, I thought I'd share my recipe with you .....
This recipe comes from one of my South African recipe books ...... Cook With Ina Parman.

MERINGUE
- 4 Egg Whites (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 cup Superfine Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Boiling Water
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch

- Beat egg whites, until foaming lightly, then add the white vinegar.
  (Remember to use a glass bowl and electric mixer ... never a plastic bowl)
- Continue beating until mixture is thick, stiff and slightly dry.
- Gradually add the superfine sugar, beating continuously. The mixture must be firm, shiny and retain its shape.
- Beat in the boiling water.
- Sift the cornstarch over the mixture, and fold in with a metal spoon.
- Place baking paper on baking sheet, and mark out a 20 cm circle (this is where I marked out a heart shape.)
- Place egg mixture in a piping bag (or Ziplock bag, with a hole cut in the corner), and pipe out a    solid base to your shape.
- Now pipe around the edge of your shape, to build up a little wall.
- Bake at 275 Deg F for 30 mins, then turn the oven temperature down to 250 Deg F, and bake for a  further hour.
- Cool completely ( I switch the oven off, and allow the meringue to cool in the oven)


This is  what the baked shell looks like (the cracks in the meringue are quite normal) ..... it has a slight creamy, pink color to it. It's quite lovely :-)
Time to fill this beauty ....

FILLING
Only fill the meringue shell, when you are ready to eat the dessert.
- 1 cup cream (whipping or heavy whipping)
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Superfine Sugar
- Pinch Of Salt
- Assorted chopped Fruit (Kiwi Fruit, Strawberries, Grapes, Raspberries, Mango)

- Beat the cream until stiff.
- Beat in the superfine sugar
- Season with a pinch of salt

- Pile the whipped cream into the meringue shell.
- Sprinkle the chopped fruit over the top of the cream.
- Serve immediately.



There you have it ....... Dessert perfection !!!


My little table gifts were very simple this year .... a Cadbury's Milk Chocolate bar, that I wrapped candy wrapper style, with some Valentines themed scrapbooking paper. I then made a belly band, which I wrapped around the chocolate bars "belly". I then used my Cricut to cut out these cute Valentines frogs, which I attached to the band with a pop dot ..... quick and cute :-)

I hope that your Valentines Day was full of love, laughter and some extra special treats !!!

3 comments:

  1. The dessert looks spectacular and your table gifts are sweet. You are a papercrafting genious! I love all of the paper projects you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, that dessert is so pretty! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe it has been so long since I visited your blog :( been so busy here what with the babies and the wedding and our trip... we are going to stay with Mich I am so excited. Next year we want to come to the states... so who knows we may get to see you there yet.
    Pavlova is my all time FAVE pudding. It is the one that I can never say no to :D yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete