Saturday, January 19, 2013

YORKSHIRE PUDDING .....

I married a man who was born, and partly raised in England ..... in Yorkshire to be precise !!! Although he has lived away from there for 40+ years, his food preferences are best described as very English.

Today Boy Child and his Dad, together with a few of his friends from our Scout Troop, spent the day earning their Archaeology Merit Badge ...... the boys that is, not the adults.  
It has been pretty chilly here of late, so I decided to whip up one of hubby's (and the kids) favorite dinners ...... Yorkshire Pudding. When we were recently in the UK, most of the places we ate at, served a big, round Yorkshire Pudding, with all of the "goodies" dumped in the middle. It has become my families absolute favorite way to eat it. Hmmmm ...... how to replicate it? Then the idea came to me - why not bake them individually in 9" cake pans ...... Brilliant - they turned out perfectly !!!!
If you've never tried them (none of my American friends know what I'm talking about when I mention them), they're very easy to make ...... give them a try - you won't be disappointed.

YORKSHIRE PUDDING
Makes 3 - 9" round cake pan puddings

- 12 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Enough milk to make a smooth flour/egg mixture full of bubbles
- 11/2 Cups Cold Water

- Heat your oven to 475 Deg F (Yes, VERY hot !!!!)
- Mix the flour, eggs and salt together (I use a whisk to do this, and I mix it hard!!!)
- Add enough milk to give you a smooth mixture full of air bubbles (the air bubbles make it light and fluffy)
- Add the water and whisk it very well again.

-  Pour just enough vegetable oil into the bottom of your cake pan, to barely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place pans in the oven for 10 mins (this heats the oil)
- After the 10 mins, remove the pans, and quickly pour 1/3 of the mixture into the pan. Be very careful !!!
- Place the pans back in the oven for 20 mins.
- After 20 mins, rotate the pans 180 deg and cook for a further 5 - 10 mins.
- Remove from oven. They will be well risen and fluffy, and lightly browned.

We fill ours with rump roast, sliced carrots and potato wedges, that I cooked in the crockpot all day. topped  off with beef gravy ....... LOTS of beef gravy !!!!

I am currently sewing up some fun journal covers ....... just a few more to go, and then I'll share them with you.
Take care, and stay warm (or keep cool) wherever you may be.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummmy! I think I shall try it this week for sure! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we LOVE Yorkshire pudding! Daddy made it every year for Christmas with a standing roast....but he made it in oversized muffins pans....so good! Thanks for this recipe...and for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love it too. They ask for it every year as a must-have with Easter dinner. Good to know I'm not alone in sharing this delicious and simple traditional food with my American family!

    ReplyDelete