Sunday, April 15, 2012

HEY PESTO ...

A couple weeks back, I planted my veggie garden. I've planted some different things this year .... cauliflower, zucchini, cucumber and salad lettuce. Tomatoes and green peppers have made an appearance again too.
Last year, I also planted herbs, but they did not do well. I don't know if I had them in the wrong place, or whether the heat was just to brutal for them ... whatever the reason, they were a failure. I've planted some again this year (mint, sweet basil, parsley and oregano), and the story is an entirely different one ..... they're doing fantastically well !!!
Today, I was able to harvest my first batch of sweet basil !!! You would not believe my excitment. The result .... this absolutely scrumptious pesto. It was soooo good (even Boy Child declared it yummy) !!!
I had to bulk up my basil with some store bought leaves, as I didn't have enough from my harvest, but I remedied that by running to Lowes and buying 2 more sweet basil plants, we wont have that problem again. The recipe was one I found when I googled "pesto recipes". It was quick and easy - 10 minutes from start to finish.
I get a huge kick out of being able to feed my family from what I have grown. Garden to table in 30 minutes .. it never fails to make me smile:-)

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! We have a small herb and veggie garden too...just enough for our family...it feels good to go outside and cut things for a salad....

    ReplyDelete