Tuesday, May 17, 2011

LITTLE BIRDS NEST ...

Our YOE ornament for April was nests. My partners package will have arrived, so I'm not spoiling her suprise, and I'm going to share with you what I made.

I put away my sewing machine, knitting needles and crochet hook for this one, and I have to admit, it was a lot of fun.


I used garden twine and glue to make this nest. I covered the bottom of a bowl in plastic wrap. I then soaked my twine in a mixture of 1 part white glue and 1 part water. After squeezing out the excess liquid, I wound the twine around the bottom and sides of the bowl, to make a nest shape. I intentionally left gaps in the twine, so that I could thread yarn and bits of fabric into the nest once it was dry. I left it to dry for 24 hours. After removing it from the bowl and plastic wrap, I threaded the bits and bobs into the nest. I finished it off by lining it with spanish moss and feathers, and I glued some teeny tiny wooden eggs that I found in my treasure trove of goodies:-) I glued a wooden peg onto the bottom of the nest, so that it could be clipped onto a branch on her tree.


I thought that these would also look cute on an Easter or Spring table setting.


We have a few real birds nests scattered around our garden at the moment ..... I love that they're a promise of new life, and we eagerly await the hatching of their precious contents each year.

3 comments:

  1. this is one sweet little nest...I love yoe too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I think this is just perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all! Thank you for the beautiful little birdy note... ;o)

    ReplyDelete