Happy 4th Of July to all my American friends.
As has become customary in our home over the last little while, no celebration is complete, without some decorated sugar cookies. They have become my addiction ...... Cookies Anonymous anyone !!!!
I kept the shapes and colors simple ...... circles, hearts and stars ..... red, white and blue.
My favorite are definately the firework cookies !!! I have a chocolate mold that has little numbers. I made a few 4's in white chocolate, and then dusted them with shimmery gold dust (edible), to finish them off. I added them and the little white sprinkle stars to the icing as soon as I had flooded the cookie, before the icing dries.
As I've mentioned before, I don't use Royal Icing. Instead I use an icing that tastes delicious,dries firm so your cookies can be stacked, but doesn't cause broken teeth !!!
This is not my icing recipe, I found it on Pinterest. I've been asked about the recipe I use, so here it is ....
- 4 Cups Icing Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- 6 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- 11/2 Teaspoons Almond Extract
- Whisk (I use my hand held mixer) together icing sugar and milk until smooth
- Add corn syrup, and almond extract, and whisk together until shiny and smooth, and mixture drizzles off whisk easily.
- This consistency will be your fill consistency (the one you use to flood your cookie after outlining it)
- Add extra icing sugar, a teaspoon at a time, to get your piping consistency.
The amount that this makes is enough to ice 3 dozen cookies. If I have less to ice, I just halve the recipe, and it works great.
This has a lovely almond flavor to it ..... I have wondered what other flavors would taste like. I might have a play around this week sometime. Richard leaves for 10 days away at Scout Camp tomorrow !!! I find keeping busy is the secret to dealing with just how quiet the house is without him. Brittany loves the quiet (and the only child status :-), but for this Mama, the house is just not quite the same without the noisy one ...... he's going to have such a great time though - he did last year !!!
Have a great 4th ..... Family, Cookouts and Memories Made.