Thursday, January 29, 2015

A QUILT .....

Quilts just speak to me of all things home .... they're like a big fabric hug !!!!
My desire has always been that my kids have at least one "Mom Made" quilt each .... well, I have now accomplished half of that desire ...... Brittany has one !!!!
I saw this  9 Square Quilt, and decided it would be perfect. Quick and simple, but still cute.



I'm taking part in Val's Year Long Craft Along (click on the button on my sidebar for the details). Each month she sets us a crafty challenge .... January's challenge was to make a blanket/quilt ... something to wrap up warm in. I needed no better excuse to get going !!!

I chose a central feature fabric. Brit loves tattoo art (she can't wait until she turns 18 - she'll be knocking on that tattoo parlors door!!!), and this fabric reminded me of that. I chose 8 other complimentary fabrics, and cut them to 16"x16" squares. The sashing and border strips, are just plain black fabric, cut to widths of 21/2". Sewing up the quilt top was fun ..... the next part (yes, the quilting), not so much !!! In all honesty, I REALLY didn't like this part - too much bulkiness being shoved through too smaller space. I think those quilters who piece their tops, and then send them off to be quilted are very wise:-) Anyway, I did it - I may have said a naughty word or two during the process though !!! The quilting I did was very basic, I sewed 1/2" around the inside of each square, and then 1/2" around the outside of each square ..... Voila - Done !!!

I used bright red binding, because I love it, and because it tied in with the roses of my feature fabric. The backing was just plain black fabric.


Brit loves it, which is what counts. It's been through the washing machine a couple of times already, and I must say, I love it a little more after each wash. It gets a little more crinkly and quilty each time ..... Just as it should.



I'll leave you with a picture of my sweet girl all wrapped up in it .... nothing makes my Mommy heart sing more, than a picture like this. Something made with so much love, being loved so much :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment